Tuesday, March 3, 2009

In Praise of HH Gregg – Continuation

Wow! This is turning into a book…lol

Ok, the last post ended with us moving. We found a nice(we thought)house. It was quite a bit smaller, but it did have a garage (kinda – I could get my car in it, but could not get out of the car, no room to open the doors…) and a huge storage shed out back, along with a big back yard with a privacy fence around it. The yard needed some work, the grass being kinda scraggly, but no biggie. All the carpeting was different colors, but despite less room total, the rooms themselves (except kitchen & dining room) were larger. We moved in May 1st.

On May 10th, at 11:30pm, I had a flood. It was Saturday night, the boy visiting at Stacey’s for the night (Thank Goddess!) and Hunny was at the race track. And when I say flood, I mean FLOOD! One of the main water lines in the wall between the kitchen and laundry room (ok, laundry closet – room for washer, dryer, hot water heater. period) broke. I had 2” of water throughout the hallway, kitchen, bathroom, and bedrooms, in a matter of about 3 minutes. I called the emergency number provided by the rental agency to get a recording directing me to call another number if I was calling about “an emergency.” I thought this qualified, so dialed the number. I was told by the nice lady(!) that answered that there wasn’t anyone available after 10 pm on weekends…

Me: “Ummm, I have a bit of a flood going on here.”
Her: “I’m sorry, we don’t have anyone available after 10pm on weekends.”  
Me: “Ummmm, when I called the maintenance line given to me by the rental agency, it referred me here for after hours emergencies. Was that not accurate?”
Her: “Who’s your rental company?”
Me: **gave company name**
Her: “Yes, we are the after hours emergency service for them.”
Me: “Well, I think this qualifies as an emergency! My house has 2” of water throughout it”
Her: “But we don’t have anyone after 10 pm on weekends.”
Me: “Are you kidding me..? My house has 2 inches of water in it already & guess what? It’s still pouring out of the wall, and I have no idea how to shut it off!”
Her: “Well, I can see where that would be a problem.”
Me: “!?” :Ya think..?”
Her: “But I don’t have anyone…”
Me: “Yes, yes – you don’t have anyone available after 10 on the weekend. Do you understand what I’m telling you? Do you realize that water is quickly filling this house? Carpet is being ruined, walls are being ruined. Are already ruined? And the water is still flowing rapidly into the house..?”
Her: “I’m sorry, I don’t…
Me: “Yanno what..? That’s ok, it’s not MY property that’s being destroyed, and it won’t be my expense to fix it. Anything of mine that IS ruined will be replaced by YOUR company. I suggest you find SOMEONE available after 10 pm on a weekend, or there will be some major expense incurred, and I’m fairly certain that not only your boss, but the rental agency will be extremely unhappy when they find –oh I dunno, by tomorrow..? A FOOT of water throughout this house, all of my personal possessions in need of replacement, and that I did call to report it & got a runaround. I understand that as a rule people calling with emergencies tend to be exaggerating a bit, and that you really don’t want to wake your boss at 11:30 at night just to find someone freaked out over nothing. That is not the situation here. I have water pouring out of my wall at a rate of about 2” every five minutes. It’s been doing it for approximately 20 minutes now, there is standing water in the rooms that have carpeting to absorb it – three bedrooms, the hallway, the dining area & working on the living room carpets are fully saturated! But that’s ok, you don’t have anyone available after 10 pm on a weekend night, and I’ll be sure to let everyone who needs to know just how diligent you were about performing your job & giving me that information
!”
Her; *silence*
Me: “Thanks for nothing, have a great night.” and I hung up. What other option did I have..?

I knew the water meter outside could stop the water to the house, but it was 11:30 at night, and a new home. I had no idea where outside it might be, or even if I could get to it if I found it. Meanwhile, water was still pouring out of the wall. I called Hunny and wonder of wonders he was actually on his way home – only about 5 minutes out. HE got the water off & the flood stopped. I also got a phone call from the “no-one-available-after-10pm-on-a-weekend on call person. Although by the time he called Hunny had the water off & was shopvac-ing the house. They sent someone from a flood restoration company out the next morning, who set up these huge fans throughout the house. They ran 24/7 for about a week. Wanna talk about relaxing..? Not.

We ended up having several more floods, mold growing in one of the closets & behind the formica in the kitchen, the kitchen center area broken & the counter pulled away from the wall. Mold under the sink. And I can’t prove it, but I’d almost guarantee mold under the carpets. Yeah, they never replaced them after all the flooding. At least not while we were there. IN addition to that, the wiring was all jacked up. If you ran the microwave & dishwasher at the same time, it flipped the breaker every time. Oh yeah, and their dishwasher died about a week after moving in so we had to use ours. Trying to get stuff fixed was a nightmare.

Now I’m sure many of you are familiar with my propensity to go on, and occasionally exaggerate a bit (what? I’m human – mostly) So, here are some visual props, to lessen your understandable doubts…

E-mail 100_0944E-mail 100_0946

The hallway

E-mail 100_0947E-mail 100_0948

My computer room – luckily I had that plastic floor/chair mat I could put everything on to get it out of the wet

E-mail 100_0958     E-mail 100_0967

Laundry area & Closet

E-mail 100_1014E-mail 100_1023

The kitchen wall the formica & behind it on the wall

E-mail 100_1007E-mail 100_1004

The kitchen island area

E-mail 100_1011 E-mail 100_1026

E-mail 100_1027

DSCN0410

And this, my friends, was the final straw – this picture was taken in our bedroom when we moved out – yes, you’re seeing properly – that plant was growing out from between the wall & the baseboard…

So you see, no exaggeration this time! And did I mention the air conditioner that froze up in mid-July 100 degree heat..? And that we got all of this for the low, low cost of $850 a month..? Oh yeah – one more pic, our breaker box…

E-mail box2                 

Well, it’s outta time I am again. The old demon work calls, and I must answer.

See ya laterzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!

Jodi cup           

No comments: