Wednesday, April 30, 2008

My Little Psychic...

I had mentioned in an earlier post, or maybe in my profile, that my boy is a bit psychic...ok, maybe more than a bit. Why do I say this, you ask? Well, there have been numerous instances during which he has made it perfectly clear. I also believe he is either unaware of it, or at least unaware that not everyone can do this.
The first true example was back in the last week of October, 2005. He wasn't quite 3 yet. My mother-in-law had called my cell while I was at work, earlier in the week to ask if they could pick the boy up on Saturday to take him to the Pumpkin Patch. They were taking Abby, and wanted Shayne to go, too. I told her I didn't see any reason why not, but that I needed to check with Mark & call her back. I gave my Hunny a ring on his cell, 'cuz he was at work, too. No problem. So I called her back, said we were good to go, and that was the end of it. Hunny & I didn't discuss it after that - why would we?
Well, Saturday rolled around, bright & sunny. At this time in his life, our boy usually slept until about 9ish. Hunny & I were both up, sitting at the dining room table (which happens so rarely, the poor table didn't know what to do) enjoying our coffee and the beautiful morning. Honey boy came out of his room, big sleepy smile on his face (his usual morning demeanor) and asked "Are Mamaw & Papaw here yet?"
Hunny & I looked at each other, and I then asked the boy "What makes you think they would be here?" His response was "Cuz we're going to da Punkin' place." Huh..? I looked at Mark.
Me: "Did you say anything to him..?"
Him: "No, it was going to be a surprise, why would I tell him..?"
Me: "Well, I didn't say anything..."
Little Psychic: "Mommy..?"
Me: "Yes, baby?"
LP: "Are they here yet..?"
Me: "Not yet baby, they'll be here in a little bit. How did you know they were coming?"
LP: *thinks a minute* "I dunno."
Me: "OoooooK"
No one had mentioned it to him - Hell nobody knew but me, Mark & his parents, and I'm pretty sure they didn't phone up the not-quite-3-year-old to tell him. He just knew.
Moving into the future, we were coming home from visiting "Christmas At The Zoo" this past December, about 9ish at night. Daddy was driving, I was riding shotgun, and our boy was in the back in his booster seat. It had been a successful visit, Santa was visited, Mrs. Claus was hugged (as were most of the females, big & small, within range *whew* he's sumptin'), Blitzen was petted, and the dolphins had been a big hit as well.
So, as we headed up Lynhurst Ave, and neared the intersection where the Speedway is,
My Hunny says: "Tell Mommy what you saw here..."
Shayne: "Huh..?" as he looks up from something he was studying.
Hunny: "What did we see here, coming home the other day..?"
Shayne: "Oh yeah, we saw a car had hit a truck."
Hunny: "Very Good." He then went on to tell me they had seen a wreck coming home a few days back. From the back seat came

Him: "There was another wreck, too."
Me: "There was..? Where"
Him: "On 70..."
Me: "What happened?" I was basically humoring him at this point, as I was sure it was something he had imagined, or seen on TV or heard about.
Him: "There was a truck & a car and a smaller truck, and it was upside down, and they all crashed together."
Me: "I see...when did this happen?"
Him:" I dunno."

And that was the end of it...until the next morning. When I got up, I fumbled through my usual routine. As I was going through the local news on WTHR, there it was...the night before, early morning actually, about 3 or 4 am, a car had crossed the median on I-70, crashed into a semi, which in turn had sideswiped a pickup. There was a picture. It showed a mashed up little car, a minimally damaged semi, and a pickup - on it's roof. Yeah, it gave me a bit of a chill. Hell, just typing it, thinking about it again, gave me a new chill.
The last incident was much less serious, but "spooky" just the same. Any of you who are regular readers know how my mornings go. If you aren't a regular, you can read about them here. I don't do morning well, and I try to shower in the evening so I don't have to mess with it in the morning. And my morning routine is pretty well set in stone - I don't try to function in any meaningful way until I've been up at minimum about an hour. Need coffee, first & foremost. Always.
But one night about a month ago, Shayne didn't get a bath one night, and I hadn't managed to squeeze in a shower either. The next day was one of my "early days", and the boy was going somewhere or doing something that required squeaky cleanliness (have no idea what it was now...LOL). So as I was laying in bed, almost asleep, I decided I would get up & immediately jump in the shower with the boy. That way we could both get clean, and doing it first thing, though NEVER DONE BEFORE during Shayne's lifetime, would (hopefully) allow us a little extra time to get everything else we needed to do done. After making my decision, I drifted off to no-dreamland (I never remember them, so I'm not convinced I have them...). I didn't talk to my hunny (he was already out, takes him all of about 30 seconds to fall out). I just thought it and fell asleep.
The next morning, my boy comes in and snuggles up to me about 8:30ish. I looked at the clock and realized I had slept later than I should have. As I sat up in bed, my boy hopped out of it, turned around to look at me and said
Him: "Are you ready to get in the shower now Mommy?"
Me: "Huh?"
Him: "Are you ready to get in the shower now, Mommy..?"
Me: "Why would you ask me that? I'm not even out of bed yet" While thinking to myself *there he goes again*
Him: *shrugging* "I dunno, I just did...So are you?"
We did get up & shower, but how did he know? I NEVER shower straight out of bed NEVER. He's never asked that before - or since, I might add.
These are just a few examples, there have been many more little things, things I can't even think of right now.
OH OH OH Speaking of Things, I've determined another of my Things. You know how some rooms have two entrances and two light switches? Or the stairs have two top & bottom? Well, apparently it bugs me to have the switch in the "incorrect" position - you know, up and the light is off, or down when it's on? I found myself crossing my laundry room to turn off the light, just so I could cross back - in the dark - to turn it back on and put the switch in the up position. Man I'm weird...LOL
Oh yeah, and my boy, who attended his 3rd (yes third) night of Karate class tonight, earned a red stripe on his belt already! Daddy was with him, but when I asked what it was for, he just said "I dunno, he was kicking..." Men! I'll hafta find out Tuesday when I'm off and I can go.
Ok, I'm going to bed now, the letters on the keyboard are blurring....
See ya laterzzzzzzzz

No comments: